Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Decor Spotlight: Antique Typewriters

 Granny's First MacBook

 If I tried to sell you a typewriter instead of a computer, there would be many problems with that situation. No monitor..no mouse..no Microsoft Word..no checking my Facebook periodically in a minimized window while I work? No thanks! I agree, the functionality of typewriters is well past its hay day. BUT, what if I told you that typewriters now have a role to play in our homes? A decorative role.

Antique, rustic looks are growing increasingly popular, and why wouldn't they? Vintage pieces have a past and a unique wonder about them, especially typewriters. Who wrote with this machine? Was it used for love letters? Prison letters? ...Prison love letters? Famous last words? Did it type important documents about Bing Crosby, the invention of scotch tape, and other old people topics?

The world may never know, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't consider bringing these mysterious, rustic items into your home. I will highlight some fun ways vintage typewriters can be used to bring some old time-y flair to your home.

Decor Ideas




Old photo embellishments.


































A unique decorative idea for the pesky empty spot in your house yearning for some pizazz.





I love the addition of floral elements. This particular typewriter has a very "autumn" vibe to it. Winter, Spring, and Summer floral arrangements would look lovely during the corresponding times of the year.
The bookcases look is my overall favorite! It is not the most common thing to have an unused table lying around to be the stage for your antique typewriter statement piece, however vintage desks very similar to that one can be bought for great prices at antiques malls. Additionally, you get to show off that you, in fact, DO know how to read. I'd recommend keeping Fifty Shades of Grey out of it, though.


Currently at Zinnias at Melrose on Indian School Rd there several vintage typewriters available, here are a few options in stock:




Hopefully you can find the right fabulously rustic piece that's waiting to start the next page of its life in your home, office, shop, etc.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't this a neat idea? I love it, so creative! You know, I have always loved old typewriters, but I can't type with them anymore thanks to my dang arthritis! I wonder if I could do this with my old PC. Anyhow, I certainly would love to take a peek inside Zinnia's when I get a chance these photos are just great!

    ReplyDelete